Tuesday, May 16, 2006

today at a large and soul-less shop

'No, sorry, it isn't worth fixing this camera you've only had for three years...anything to do with the batteries and it's a whole new motherboard...nah, it's not even worth sending it away...we don't sell these anymore...pity your warranty has expired...let me show you this new one it's got face recognition, it's really cool...'

Avert eyes from all ridiculously appealing consumer goods including televisions you don't need binoculars to see and dvd players which would mean you could start watching movies again.

Trudge, trudge, trudge, mutter, mutter, mutter...yes, we're going home now, please don't jump on the lounge...no daddy does not let you bounce on the lounges in shops...nor does your granny...please don't yell at me.

Standing in the doorway, checking everything is back in bag after accidental spill.

Overheard: 'yeah, look, mate, can't stop now, get your missus to give mine a ring...yeah, look, I'd better leave it with you, you know what my missus is like it'll never get done'.

Get in the car. Leave the car park without running anyone down.

4 comments:

Kaufman said...

The need for bringing along my soul to those kinds of shops has long been reserved for special occasions, mostly in which my sense of humour outshines a token effort to offload humility on the situation.

The desire to snuff a suited life force often accompanies me to many places where furniture is sold. Is it only me?

In Tokyo, the district of Akihabara is famous for wall to wall availability of electrical appliances. Members of staff are rarely seen there, even in the establishments with twelve or more floors of EAs. It gives opportunists such as myself ample time to look, touch and even fondle the merchandise without looking over one's shoulder.

Perhaps it's too far to travel for you.

ThirdCat said...

Yeah, it is a bit far. Getting to the end of Marion Road is a bit far at the moment.

Anonymous said...

If one more thing in my house that has a warranty breaks I think I will too.
Like you, TC, i have a three-year-old digital camera which is not quite the thing for 2nd year photography class - daughter has to borrow her girlfriend's because it has more than 5 pixels. What's a camera for??? it's quite adequate for her brother's speech aids.

Kaufman said...

I was at Marion shopping district over the Christmas break a few years ago, having led a parochially challenged life in Cairns for close to three years, when anxiety barged down the door to my brain.

Although I've yet to sample from the shelves in Hell, I imagine with childlike abandon the ease with which one could window shop there.

Unlike the complex at Marion.