Monday, August 21, 2006

Memories

Today, my littlest boy had his first day at pre-entry which is the thing you do in the term before you start pre-school (kindergarten). And so, I spent the day reflecting on how different my life will soon be, and how very sad I am that I won't be having any more children, and particularly won't be having any more babies, and I was thinking how much I love babies and what an excellent baby-mother I am (not too good on the three-year-olds, but ace with babies), and how wonderful the days alone in hospital with my littlest baby were...

And then I remembered the strangest thing.

The extra sheet that they put on top of your normal sheet in your hospital bed (to collect seeping blood and other associated muck) is called a kylie. The nurses say such things to each other as 'did you bring the kylie' or 'oh, do you think you can sit up while I just change your kylie'.

And being of the era when kylie could very easily have been my name, and also having a Best Friend at school with that name, I do think someone should have put more effort into that name.

4 comments:

misstickle said...

Would that be a very thin sheet that makes a whiny noise when it moves?

ThirdCat said...

Yes, they are thin. I don't remember the whiny noise, but quite possibly they do make that noise, because they're made (at least partly) of plastic.

misstickle said...

Yes, though I thought that was Dannii that was plastic, not Kylie!

Mummy/Crit said...

Yes, yes, Kylies!! My homebirth midwife lent me one, and we laughed about it endlessly.